Wednesday Vignette March 14, 2018

An old photo from November 2015 is today's vignette.  There is a huge number of photos to winnow down for tomorrow's Bloom Day post, so a quick look back at the past felt right.  I don't hang out a feeder any more.  The hummers must make do with flowers these days.

I don't hang out a hummingbird feeder anymore because:  

1. Even though I was fanatic about keeping the feeder fresh and clean, it's healthier for the birds to feed from flowers.
2. The number of hummingbird-feeding flowers in the garden year round has reached ridiculous levels.  There is plenty for every bird who cares to visit.
3. One extra-feisty male would end up guarding the feeder and chasing every other bird off.  
4. It is a whole lot easier to grow flowers for the birds than to prep sugar water, wash out the feeder, fill the feeder, and hang it out every day for the birds.   

Wednesday Vignettes are a creation of Flutter and Hum.  Have a click for more.  

Comments

  1. I don't hang out a hummingbird feeder any more for similar reasons, plus laziness and sometimes freezing temps in winter. I think it probably took me all of 5 minutes to photograph my flowers for tomorrow's bloom day post, so I'm looking forward to yours. It will be a few more months before I have to do any winnowing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, yeah, lazy here too. I just came up with the other stuff instead of admitting it.

      Delete
  2. I've never seen so many hummingbirds so closely assembled! There's a hummer hovering outside my office window on a regular basis now - my best guess is that he's attracted to the new blooms on an orchid sitting in the window. Have I managed a photo? Of course not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or he sees his reflection, thinks it is a rival, and wants to chase it away? Apparently they are, you know, bird-brained.

      Delete
  3. I'm always amazed at the energy hummingbirds expend in fussing off other hummingbirds, even when there's plenty of nectar for all. Reminds me of Oscar Wilde's "It is not enough to succeed; others must fail."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a victim of their own DNA. I think they don't try quite as hard when nectar is plentiful. Maybe they are just staying in practice.

      Delete
  4. our sunbirds too, must share the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The male Hummers don't want to share. Bad birds!

      Do your sunbirds battle for territory too? I was looking at photos of some of them--they are beautiful birds.

      Delete
  5. Good for you having so many blooms for the hummers. I will look forward to seeing all those blooms posted today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is win-win; I get a lively garden, and the hummers get plenty of food. I like win-win!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.