Fallen

 photo mon1891_zps1bb90c8c.jpg
The circled area shows where the neighbor's tree snapped;  the large area is what fell into our yard.  I thought it was the top of the tree, but the tree had a "Y" shape, and just one of the "Y" arms snapped off.  Not going to sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff.

I'm cutting down the dying Dodoneas.  They reseed so prolifically I wonder if they are short-lived in nature--why otherwise reseed so quickly and easily?  
 photo mon1897_zpsd696068b.jpg
There's the pile of Dodonea I will be cutting very small in order to cram it all into this week's load of green waste.
 photo mon1896_zps7eaee196.jpg
I noticed the 'Zwartzkop' Aeoniums are waking up from their summer sleep.  They look like this when asleep--a good bit of the foliage dries up and falls off and the stuff that does not fall gets very dark.  This is a good illustration of the fine fringe on the leaf margins--an identifying trait for all Aeoniums.
 photo mon1895_zpsc11935db.jpg
You can see they are waking up when the center leaves start to green.  those are new leaves growing, the plant wakened by cooler nights and our first winter rain.
 photo mon1894_zpsc77594a5.jpg
And my new rose for 2014, 'Ascot'.  It's from Palatine Roses and is grafted onto Rosa multiflora rootstock.  I don't plan on getting any other roses for 2014.  Nice looking bareroots they send, good hefty size, and arrived clean, moist and undamaged.
 photo mon1899_zps13443297.jpg
Quickly planted, so as not to dry out.  I have a shade cloth ready in case it gets too hot and sunny for a bare root rose.
 photo mon1898_zpsc8297ac2.jpg
Not much in the way of beauty shots today.  Perhaps the first blueberry flowers of the season can be considered decorative.  They are cute little bells that bees adore.  The foliage colors up a bit, but does not drop.
 photo mon1903_zpsdbd46d99.jpg
The Parthenocissus tricuspidata (Boston Ivy) is the most reliable autumn foliage color here.  It has not yet fallen, but soon will.
 photo mon1889_zps9b60fc6b.jpg
And that was the garden, on a Monday in November.  Work quickly done, before darkness falls. 



Comments

  1. Oh, the Boston Ivy is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that plant more than I ever thought I would.

      Delete
  2. Your P. tricuspidata looks lovely against that light wall. Mine has already lost all its leaves, but they were glorious while they lasted! So what got creamed underneath all that tree branch fallout?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A couple of branches of my chartreuse Duranta erecta were snapped off, and the golden Cupressus had some foliage scraped off. I'd let that whole area go because the neighbor's Euc dropped so much crap there. Also the other neighbor planted Ficus right on the property line, and the invasive roots were also ruining the stuff I planted on my side. I stopped watering the whole area and left everything to die rather than encourage more of the invasive Ficus roots, except I do have a dripper run to the Duranta, which was doing well. I am hoping those Ficus roots go into the lawn of the neighbor to which the Ficus belong--let them deal with the monsters. There is some Salvia leucantha in there--it's is hanging on and doing okay despite zero water and almost no sun. Perhaps if I can get the Euc trimmed back the Salvia will be salvageable. There's a foot or more of Euc litter. Hate those trees hanging over.

      Delete
  3. I am looking forward to see your Ascot rose in flower.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.