Shoot The Face, Not The Rear End.

Wednesday it unexpectedly rained.  Thursday it was horribly windy.  Friday was lovely, and I was able to get outside and enjoy the garden.  I tried to make a "foliage follow-up" post, but flowers and puppies distracted.

Photobucket
It was only after taking many photos of bees feeding on Calandrinia pollen that I realized I should be shooting the bee's face, not its rear end.

Photobucket
I was taken seeing the pollen all over the bee's backside. They get covered with pollen, like miners get covered with coal dust. Worker bees indeed.
Photobucket
The Coleonema pulchellum started blooming this week. I used to have three of these shrubs. One remains. They are extremely beautiful for several years, and then suddenly die. The Marilyn Monroe of shrubs.
Photobucket

I tried for foliage shots. Next to the Coleonema is a Duranta 'Golden Buddha', which really is this golden:
Photobucket
Common ordinary old Fescue 'Elijah Blue', looking it's cool-season best.
Photobucket
Euonymus japonicus 'Chollipo', complete with one orange seed. The foliage looks tired and faded in August heat, but comes back into beauty in winter and spring.
Photobucket
The orange seed looks perfectly coordinated with nearby Clivia flowers...
Photobucket
The foliage on Aloe plicatilis was looking really superb. Then I noticed that the first flower spike has emerged.
Photobucket
So much for foliage. I tried to get some puppy photos. Puppies are about as easy to photograph as bees. I did get the face instead of the rear end--some of the time, anyway.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
It was a very busy day.
Photobucket

Comments

  1. I'm jealous of your Clivia blooms. Mine (in an indoor pot for winter) is looking robust, but far from blooming yet. Looks like the puppies are busier than the bees - they just don't have the pollen to show for it. And you are busier than both sets, keeping up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos of the poppies. Pity those bees wouldn't behave. And your puppies, what can I say ? They are simply gorgeous. I particularly like the photo of them looking in the plant container.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MulchMaid, Clivias here can bloom in November or in April--they have a schedule of their own. I never know when the flowers will appear.

    Crystal, thanks. I assume they will be knocking that container over within a few weeks. Best to move it now if I want to keep that bay tree alive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful your photo's and dogs are. Gorgeous.
    Marijke

    ReplyDelete
  5. You take beautiful photos. I'm also in the midst of watching a clivia open, the first one is due tomorrow I think. Beautiful, beautiful photography!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! :)

    @SGP, do you also find that the Clivias bloom at different times of the year?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.